The Climate Action Fund (CAF) was established in 2009 to award small grants to frontline community groups that are fighting to prevent fossil fuels from being extracted and/or the construction of large point sources of greenhouse gas emissions. CAF is a grassroots alternative to carbon offset programs. Instead of purchasing carbon credits, funds will be used to empower frontline communities to keep fossil fuels in the ground where they belong.
To inquire regarding the possibility of funding for your organization and to request an online version of the application, please contact [email protected].
Project must fit one of two basic categories:
1) Local resistance by frontline and impacted communities to prevent the extraction of fossil fuels such as coal, tar sands, oil and gas.
2) Local resistance by frontline and impacted communities to decommission or to prevent the construction of large point sources of greenhouse gas emissions (a large point source is defined as any source larger than 100,000 tons of CO2).
Applications are evaluated on the following criteria:
1) Applicant’s capacity to carry out proposed activities.
2) Project strategy and urgency/includes well-defined objectives and planned activities.
3) Involves community organizing and mobilization as a major strategy towards achieving its goal/ the community where the project is centered and/or that will be impacted by the initiative is engaged in the decision-making process related to the activities.
4) Achievement of applicant goals would result in a significant positive climate mitigation impact.
5) Project honors and upholds diversity and equity.
6) Activities would be significantly enhanced by a small grant/applicant’s annual budget (under $150,000 is prioritized), overall access to resources and previous funding from RAN.
Although grants are made in all regions and unsolicited proposals are welcome, geographic priority areas are South and North America. Applicants from other regions are encouraged to contact [email protected] prior to submitting an application to inquire regarding the possibility of funding.
CAF does not support individual, governmental, or exclusively academic projects. Grants generally do not exceed $2,500. Certain components of projects with larger budgets can be funded when those components significantly contribute to the project’s final outcome. Organizations representing communities of color and/or with limited access to resources will receive priority in funding.
Only completed applications will be considered. Applicants will be informed within 4 weeks if their application has been short-listed or declined. The final decision on short-listed projects can take a couple of weeks longer, depending on how quickly references come back and how long it takes to resolve any inquiries regarding the application. If the application is urgent please make this clear when it is submitted.
For an online version of the application, please complete this online form.
Rainforest Action Network
c/o Climate Action Fund
425 Bush Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94108